Does God pursue us?

 


The entire Bible is the story of God pursuing us.

From the very beginning, God has pursued us. After Adam and Eve sinned, they did not run toward God; they ran away from Him, hiding among the trees of the garden (Genesis 3:8). But God pursued them: “The Lord God called to the man, ‘Where are you?’” (verse 9). It was the first missionary effort, as the Creator sought out His lost creatures. God has always had a heart of reconciliation.

Jesus used the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin (Luke 15:3–10) to teach that God pursues us. Jesus wanted us to understand the heart of God and that He knows each person intimately (Matthew 10:29–31Psalm 139:13). Jesus’ mission on earth was to “seek and to save that which is lost” (Luke 19:10). To seek something is to pursue it. We pursue love, money, fame, and relationships because they are important things to us. God pursues us because we are important to Him, being created in His image (Genesis 1:27).

God’s passionate pursuit of us involved sending His beloved Son to die in our place (John 3:16–182 Corinthians 5:219:15). Because we could not reach Him through our own efforts, He reached down to us. He pursues us even when we are obstinate: to the Israelites, God said, “I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, ‘Here am I, here am I.’ All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations—a people who continually provoke me to my very face” (Isaiah 65:1–3).

Q What do you think after reading this?  

Do you think God doesn't care about us?  Or does he care and actively pursue us?

Excerpt taken from Got Questions

To read the complete article, please visit Got Questions: Does God pursue us?

Popular Posts